3.21.2011

Battle Report: Kreuger the Stormlord v. Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood

Here comes battle report number two!  eKreuger faced off against Calandra, and tried to twist fate.  He was, however, very unsuccessful, and Calandra could see all his tricks coming from a mile away!  In the end, Kreuger got chopped in half by a large group of champions.

Here's a breakdown of the two lists played (50 pts.)

Kreuger the Stormlord
-Megalith
-Woldwarden
-Feral Warpwolf
-Pureblood Warpwolf
Blackclad Wayfarer
Lanyssa Ryssyl
Shifting Stones
-Stone Keeper
Wolf Riders (max)

v.

Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood
-Dire Troll Bomber
-Troll Impaler
Long Riders (max)
Horthol
Trollkin Champions
-Skaldi Bonehammer
Trollkin Champion Hero
Fell Caller
Janissa Stonetide
Runebearer

Deployment

Turn 1
Wow, this game went 5 turns?  Well, turn 1 was the typical turn 1.  Everyone advanced, ran, etc.  Kreuger has no upkeeps.  Calandra's Bullet Dodger went on herself.  

Turn 2
 Alan decided that he didn't want the Shifting Stones around to give me crazy movement shenanigans, so those went first, at the cost of his Long Riders.  In hindsight, it was probably worth it.  Because of Kreuger's Storm Wall, both the Impaler and the Bomber were pretty much neutered for the rest of the game.  Pureblood was able to get a spray on Janissa.  Kreuger popped his feat, and pushed everyone back.  I should have been a lot more aggressive this turn, and I think it cost me the game.

Turn 3
 Calandra regroups, Star Crosses, and kills one Wolf Rider.  Megalith's animus is up, Storm Wall is up.  Nothing important happened this round.

Turn 4
 Notice the lack of both Megalith and the Pureblood!  That's what happens on a Calandra feat turn.  For some reason, I react to the feat turn by killing only the Impaler and the mounted Horthol, as opposed to the much more threatening large group of champions with accoutrement.  With Calandra camping three fury for transferring, I decided to try and kill the Bomber, with no luck.

Turn 5
Hero, Skaldi, and the Champions charge Kreuger, and he swiftly dies.  

And now, for the after-game commentary, hosted by eJosh!  

It was a really good game.  My opponent, Alan, is always fun to play with.  I can also attribute having a picture for every turn to him.  So, in terms of tactics of the battle, I think that it was a good idea for Alan to try and absorb my feat turn, survive it, then annihilate my army with his feat turn.  His trolls can take a lot more hits than my Circle can, so he played that right.  It's hard to say whether or not it was worth sending the Long Riders after the stones, but in the end, it kept my Wolf Riders busy until the very last turn.  If not, the Wolf Riders would have been threatening his back field really quick.  

On my side of the table, I think I wasn't aggressive enough after my feat turn.  I could have killed quite a bit of champions, and maybe a solo or two.  But I decided to play defensively by using Megalith's animus, and assuming he couldn't get to me.  However, a couple of Befuddles later, both Megalith and the Pureblood were dead.  I could have killed some champs that ended up killing me, and possibly making Calandra's feat turn not as devastating.  After losing that many resources, the game was just down hill from there.  Note to self, killing champions is worth trading a beast or two for.  

Well, there you have it.  eKreuger v. Calandra, with Calandra taking the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment