6.15.2011

First Impressions About Wrath

Having procured the new expansion for Warmachine, Wrath, I will try and give some ideas and first impressions about some of the Wrath models, as well as some (intentional or not) common trends about the new releases.

Many thanks to Jason Flanzer and his creative genius, as we spent a few hours chatting today about Wrath.  He surely has credit for some of the ideas I'll be talking about, but I'm unsure of which ones.

First of all, I'm really pleased of the power level of the new warcasters.  With some of the most underwhelming warcasters that MkII brought, I had mixed thoughts about what the Wrath warcasters would be able to do.  However, I think the Wrath casters are pretty incredible, while being something completely new to each respective faction.  I also believe that each Wrath warcaster has the potential to be powerhouses in higher levels.  I'm sure we will see most of the Wrath casters at Gencon and future conventions.

Second, I think that Wrath brought a LOT of anti infantry, most importantly in non-infantry form.  Some people might have noticed, but the only units that are in the Wrath book are the Kayazy Eliminators, the Houseguard Heavy Rifle Team, and the Ogrun Assault Corps.  I think it's pretty commonly accepted that infantry heavy lists are very prevalent.  I love the fact that Wrath brought a lot of non-infantry infantry killers.  If you need some examples, here's a few:  Avenger Cannon, Shatter Storm on Ossyan, Broadsides, Daemon gun, most Battle Engines, Demolisher, Minuteman Flak Field, etc.

On a side note, I'm glad to see a few more instances of "remove from play" (RFP).

Defying Expectations
There are a few things that I expected to be in Wrath that weren't.  There are also a few things that were in Wrath that I didn't expect.

I was expecting Mercs to get a couple more releases.  I guess they "got" Constance and Gallant, but they only got 6 releases compared to the 8-10 that the regular factions got.  I was expecting/hoping that Retribution was going to get a character unit and maybe a support solo.

I wasn't expecting all of the warcasters to be so awesome!  I wasn't expecting all of the warjacks to be so cool, and surprisingly unique from the other warjacks in their factions.  I didn't expect the Kayazy Eliminators!


Well, I think that's it for tonight.  Feel free to post your first impressions of Warmachine: Wrath and any ideas of crazy combos you might come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment